September 1, 2018

Chiropodists or Podiatrists?

What’s the difference? 






Whilst Podiatrists and Chiropodists treat similar things and are professionally recognised, Podiatrists have more in-depth training and so can treat in a broader way, especially for high risk feet.

The titles of Podiatrists and Chiropodists are protected by the Health and Care Professions Council (HCPC), which is the regulatory body that over sees 13 health professions. Only those practitioners who have satisfied the criteria for registration with the HCPC can call themselves Chiropodists or a Podiatrists.


Podiatrists can treat and advise you on:

Acupuncture            Foot pain             Rheumatoid arthritis         Aging feet  

Footwear              Sports injuries   Athlete’s Foot                           Fungal infections

Surgery                 Biomechanics       Gout                                           Sweaty feet

Blisters                    Heel pain                Toe deformities                  Bunions               

Homeopathy        Toenail cutting          Callus                                          Insoles (orthotics)

Vascular disease   Chilblains                 Ingrown toenails                       Verrucae             

Corns                      Laser therapy           Walking and hiking             Dermatology       

Diabetes (foot related)                     Podopaediatrics (children’s feet)     

Osteoarthritis                                     Working feet                          Woundcare


Podiatrists and Chiropodists – What they do

Podiatrists or Chiropodists use the diagnosis and treatment of diseases and other disorders of the feet. Graduates from the Schools of Podiatry in Universities are trained to prevent, diagnose, treat and rehabilitate abnormal conditions of the feet and lower limbs. They also prevent and correct foot deformity, relieve pain, treat infections and keep people mobile and active.

The title Chiropodist is the original term used in the profession as it gradually developed over the past 200 hundred years. In the 1960s-70s Chiropodists sought to expand their range of practice. They did this by learning new skills from other clinicians around the world, most notably from the USA, where the health professionals who specialise in foot care are called Podiatrists and are medically trained.

These pioneers of the UK Chiropody profession brought back new techniques such as local anaesthetic injection nail surgery and biomechanics. They then called themselves Podiatrists to differentiate from Chiropodists, and to emphasize their new skills and treatments.

Over time the new techniques have been introduced into the curriculum of the Podiatry Schools of Universities around the UK. These techniques are now taught as standard protocols to undergraduate podiatry students.

Most Podiatrists will have a wide range of skills that enables them to treat or advise a patient presenting with a foot problem. Some Podiatrists will specialise in a certain area like surgery, foot pain or podopaediatrics.

Rob specialises in musculoskeletal podiatry, working with your biomechanics to relieve foot pain, deformity, and leg and back issues effected by the feet.


Finding a Podiatrist

If you are not local to us, you can find someone to look at your foot problem by going to the website and use the search ‘Find a Podiatrist’ to find a clinician in your locality who is registered with the HCPC and the College of Podiatry.

There are other people who will take care of your feet some call themselves Foot Health Practitioners or Foot Care Specialists. They are usually not trained to graduate level and may not have the same skill sets, especially in recognising the problems related to high risk feet. They will not be HCPC registered and as such are not governed by the same training criteria and regulatory rules as those Podiatrists who are registered with the HCPC.




Knees, Podiatry, Sports therapy
About monicaFranke

Leave a Reply

Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked *